Clinical & Research Papers
Dr. Fisch has been involved in research and the development of new and novel methods related to issues, symptoms and disorders for men. His entire career has been devoted to Men's Health, and the ability for men to remain active and confident for their whole lives. Below are some of his research and clinical publications in support of these areas.
Varicocele and Male Infertility
- The surety of surgical repair of varicocele
- Testicular growth and gonadotrophin response associated with varicocele repair in adolescent males, British Journal of Urology International
- A Novel Surgical Approach to Subinguinal Varicocelectomy: Artery and Lymphatic Isolation Technique, Urology International September
- Adolescent Varicocele, AUA Update
- Review of current varicocelectomy techniques, British Journal of Urology International
The Male Biological Clock
- Medical Implications of the Male Biological Clock
- Male Biological Clock
- Urologic Aspects of Andropause
- The Influence of Paternal Age on Down Syndrome
Infertility and Testicular Cancer
Ejaculatory Duct Obstruction
- Ejaculatory Duct Dysfunction and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: Chronic Prostatitis
- Transurethral resection of the ejaculatory ducts for treating ejaculatory symptoms
- Ejaculatory duct obstruction
- Management of ejaculatory duct obstruction: etiology, diagnosis and treatment
- Ejaculatory Duct Dysfunction and Chronic Pelvic Pain in Men
- Fisch H, Lambert SM, Hensle TW, Hyun G. Hypospadias rates in New York State are not increasing. J Urol. 2009 May;181(5):2291-4.
- BH Lewis, M Legato, H Fisch. Medical implications of the male biological clock. JAMA. 2006 Nov 15;296(19):2369-71.
- SM Lambert, P Masson, H Fisch. The male biological clock. World J Urol. 2006 Dec 24(6):611-7.
- H Fisch, SM Lambert, ET Goluboff. Management of ejaculatory duct obstruction: etiology, diagnosis, and treatment. World J Urol. 2006 Dec 24(6):604-10.
- A Shabsigh, Y Kang, R Shabsigh M Gonzalez, G Liberson, H Fisch, E Goluboff. Clomiphene Citrate Effects on Testosterone/Estrogen Ratio in Male Hypogonadism. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2005 Sep 2(5): 716-20.
- N Makhsida, J Shah, G Yan, H Fisch, R Shabsigh. Hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome: implications for testosterone Terapy. Journal of Urology. 2005 Sep 174(3): 827-34.
- CW Johnson, JB Bingham, ET Goluboff, H Fisch. Transurethral resection of the ejaculatory ducts for treating ejaculatory symptoms. British Journal of Urology Int. 2005 Jan; 95(1):117-9.
- H Fisch, CW Johnson, J Bingham, AG Anastasiadis. A novel surgical approach to subinguinal varicocelectomy:testicular and lymphatic isolation technique. Urologia Internationalis. 2004 72(2):162-4.
- H Fisch, G Hyun, TW Hensle. Testicular growth and gonadotropin response associated with varicocele repair in adolescent males. British Journal of Urology . 2003 Jan; 91(1): 75-8.
- H Fisch, G Hyun, R Golden, TW Hensle, CA Olsson, GL Liberson. The influence of paternal age on Down Syndrome. Journal Of Urology. 2003 Jun; 169(6): 2275-8.
- H Fisch, HF Andrews, KS Fisch, R Golden, GL Liberson, CA Olsson. The relationship of long term temperature change and human fertility. Medical Hypotheses. 2003 Jul; 61(1): 21-8.
- SN Stas, AG Anastasiadis, H Fisch, R Shabsigh. Urological aspects of andropause. Urology. 2003 Feb; 61(2): 261-6.
- HM Nagler, M Rotman, E Zoltan, H Fisch. The natural history of partial ejaculatory duct obstruction. Journal of Urology 2002; 167(1):253-4.
- SR Lindheim, K Crumm, H Fisch, M.V. Sauer. Testicular sperm aspiration (TESA) and its application in oocyte donation. Archives of Andrology. 2001 May-June; 46(3):211-5.
- H Fisch, RJ Golden, GL Libersen, G Hyun, P Madsen, MI New, TW Hensle. Maternal age as a risk factor for hypospadias. Journal of Urology 2001, 165(3): 934-936.
- J Choi, KCooper, TW Hensle, H Fisch. Incidence and surgical repair rates of hypospadias in New York State. Urology 2001, 57(1):151-3.
- H Fisch, G Hyun, R Golden. The possible effects of environmental estrogen disrupters on reproductive health. Curr Urol Rep. 2000 Dec;1(4):253-61.
- GL Liberson, RJ Golden, WJ Blot, H Fisch, C Watson. An examination of the sensitivity of reported trends in childhood leukemia incidence rates to geographic location and diagnostic coding (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2000 May;11(5):413-7.
- JM McKiernan, ET Goluboff, GL Liberson, RJ Golden, H Fisch. Rising risk of testicular cancer by birth cohort in the United States from 1973 to 1995. Journal of Urology 1999, 162(1): 361-363.
- J Saidi, DT Chang, ET Goluboff, G Olsen, H Fisch. Declining U.S. sperm counts: A critical review. Journal of Urology 1999, 161(2):460-462.
- AM Estop, S Munne, KM Cieply, K Vandermark, H Fisch. Meiotic products of a Klinefelter 47XXY male as determined by sperm FISH analysis. Human Reproduction 1998, 13(1): 122-127.
- E Emanuel, ET Goluboff, H Fisch. MacLeod revisited: Sperm count distribution in 374 fertile men from 1971 – 1994. Urology 1998, 51(1): 86-88.
- H Fisch, H Andrews, J Hendricks, ET Goluboff, JH Olson, CA Olsson. The relationship of sperm counts to birth rates: A population based study from 1971 to 1994. Journal of Urology 1997, 157: 840-843.
- H Fisch, E Ikeguchi, ET Goluboff. Worldwide variations in sperm counts. Urology 1996, 48:909-911.
- EK Seaman, E Goluboff, N BarChama, H Fisch. Accuracy of semen counting chambers as determined by the use of latex beads. Fertility and Sterility 1996, 66(4): 662:665.
- S Lindheim, DH Barad, M Zinger, B Witt, H Amin, B Cohen, H Fisch, P. Barg. Abnormal Sperm Morphology is Highly Predictive of Pregnancy Outcome During Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation and Intrauterine Insemination. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics 1996, 13(7): 569-572.
- H Fisch, ET Goluboff, JH Olson, J Feldshuh, S Broder, DH Barad. Semen analysis in 1283 men from the United States over a 25 year period: No decline in quality. Fertility and Sterility 1996, 65(5): 1009-1014.
- H Fisch, ET Goluboff. Geographic variations in sperm counts: A potential cause of bias in studies of semen quality. Fertility and Sterility 1996, 65(5): 1044-1046.
- ET Goluboff, M Stifelman, H Fisch. Ejaculatory duct obstruction in the infertile male. Urology 1995, 45: 925-931.
- ET Goluboff, SA Kaplan, H Fisch. Seminal vesicle urinary reflux as a complication of transurethral resection of ejaculatory ducts. Journal of Urology 1995, 153: 1234-1235.
- ET Goluboff, DT Chang, AJ Kirsch, H Fisch. Incidence of External Spermatic Veins in Patients Undergoing Inguinal Varicocelectomy. Urology 1994, 44 (6): 893-896.
- N BarChama, H Fisch. Infection and Pyospermia in Male Infertility. World Journal of Urology 1993, 11: 76-81.
- H Fisch, N BarChama, W Skinner, R Naz. Variation in Antisperm Antibody Response Following Surgical Transection of the Male Genital Tract in the Lewis Rat. Archives of Andrology 1993, 30: 193-199.
- H Fisch, LI Lipshultz. Diagnosing Male Factors of Infertility. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 1992, 116:398-405.
- H Fisch, LI Lipschultz. Advanced Sperm Function Testing. Current Opinions in Surgery 1991, 1:156-159.
- H Fisch, E Laor, LI Lipshultz. The Simplified GnRH Stimulation Test. Urology 1990, 36:260-263.
- E Laor, H Fisch, S Tennenbaum, B Tolia, R Reid, A Mostoffi. Unilateral Testicular Torsion: Abnormal Histological Findings in the Contralateral Testis. Cause or Effect? British Journal of Urology 1990, 65:520-523.
- R Naz, J Deutch, T Phillips, A Menge, H Fisch. Sperm Autoantibodies in Vasectomized Men and Their Effects on Fertilization. Biology of Reproduction 1989, 41:163 - 173.
- H Fisch, E Laor, N BarChama, S Witkin, B Tolia, R Reid. Detection of Testicular Endocrine Abnormalities and Their Correlation to Serum Antisperm Antibodies in Men Following Vasectomy. Journal of Urology 1989, 141:1129.
- H Fisch, E Laor, R Reid, B Tolia, S Freed. Gonadal Dysfunction After Testicular Torsion - LH and FSH Response to Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone. Journal of Urology 1988, 139:61.
- Prevention and Correction of Hypocalcemia in the Parathyroidectomized Rat by Portacaval Shunt. Surgery 1977, 82:266.
- H Fisch, Older men are having children, but the reality of a male biological clock makes this trend worrisome. Geriatrics. 2009 Jan;64(1):14-7.
- H Fisch, K Baskin. Size Matters. Three Rivers Press, August 2008
- H Fisch. Declining worldwide sperm counts: disproving a myth. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2008 May;35(2):137-46
- PC Sprenkle, H Fisch. Pathologic effects of testosterone deprivation. Curr Opin Urol. 2007 Nov;17(6):424-30
- S Lambert, H Fisch. Fertility and testis cancer. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2007 May;34(2):269-77.
- P Schlegel, P Masson, S Lambert, H Fisch. Handbook Of Models For Human Aging: Chapter 51: Fertility and Aging Men. Academic Press, June 2006.
- J Shah, H Fisch. Managing the vasectomy patient: From preoperative counseling through postoperative follow-up. Contemporary Urology March 2006.
- H Fisch, S Braun. The Male Biological Clock. Simon & Schuster (Free Press). January 2005.
- H Fisch, YM Kang, CW Johnson, ET Goluboff. Ejaculatory duct obstruction. Curr Opin Urol. 2002 Nov;12(6):509-15.
- D Weiner, J Saidi, H Fisch. Geographic variation in sperm counts in the United States. Middle East Journal of Andrology (supplement) April 1999.
- TW Hensle, ET Goluboff, H Fisch: Semen analysis and transrectal ultrasound findings in men with bladder exstrophy. The Exstrophy-Epispadias Complex; J. Gearhart and G. Matthews, eds. Kluwer Academic, Plenum Publishers, New York, p. 193-7, 1999.
- TW Hensle, H Fisch. Wolffian Ducts. Encyclopedia of Reproduction 1998.
- H Fisch. Evaluation and therapy of the patient with decreased sperm motility. AUA News -–September/October 1997, 2(5): 9.
- ET Goluboff, H Fisch, T. Hensle. Semen analysis and transrectal ultrasound findings in men with bladder exstrophy. Proceedings of the First International Congress on Bladder Exstrophy, 1997.
- LI Lipshultz, H Fisch, D.J. Lamb, R.B. Meacham, C.S. Neiderberger. Is semen quality declining? Contemporary Urology 1996, 8(9): 50-62.
- E Seaman, N BarChama, H Fisch. Semen analysis in the clinical evaluation of infertility. Mediguide to Urology 1994, 7(5): 1-8.
- N BarChama, ET Goluboff, H Fisch. Infection and pyospermia in male infertility: Is it really a problem? Urologic Clinics of North America 1994, 21: 469-475.
- H Fisch, ET Goluboff. Simplified one-layer microsurgical vasovasostomy. Current Surgical Techniques in Urology 1993, 6(6): 1-8.
- H Fisch. and N BarChama. Questions to ask during a male infertility evaluation. Contemporary Urology 1993, 5(8):11-18.
- H Fisch. Transurethral resection of the ejaculatory ducts. Current Surgical Techniques in Urology, May 1993.
- H Fisch. The Surety of Surgical Repair of Varicoceles. Contemporary Urology 1991, 3(4)68-74.
- P Barg and H Fisch Clinical evaluation of the semen analysis. Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Clinics of North America 1991, 2(2):331-340.
LI Lipshultz, H Fisch. Editorial comment. A Bickel, G Dickstein: Factors predicting the outcome of varicocele repair for subfertility: The value of the luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone test. J Urol 142:1230, 1989.
- Declining Worldwide Sperm Counts - Disproving a Myth
- Declining Sperm Counts in the U.S. - A Critical Review
- Geographic Variations in Sperm Counts - A Potential Cause of Bias in Studies of Semen Quality
- Sperm Count Distributions in Fertile Men
- Semen Analyses in US Men - No Decline in Quality
- The Relationship of Sperm Counts to Birth Rates
- Worldwide Variations in Sperm Counts